Spiced Winter Roots Soup
If you want to give your insides a super boost then try this soup. Come on- we're rooting for you!
- Low-cal spray oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 leek, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 450g carrots, thinly sliced
- 400g parsnips, thinly sliced
- 400g swede, cubed
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- A good pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1200ml vegetable stock
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- A handful of parsley, chopped
- 4 tbsp low-fat natural yoghurt
- Dried chilli flakes for sprinkling (optional)
- Zest & juice of half an orange
- 120g reduced-fat Cheddar cheese, grated
- 60g crusty wholemeal or wholegrain bread
Lightly spray a large saucepan with oil and set over a medium heat. Cook the onion, leek, carrots, parsnips, swede and garlic, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes until the vegetables are softened.
Add the stock and bay leaf and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer gently for 15–20 minutes until the vegetables are cooked and tender. Discard the bay leaf.
Blitz the soup in batches in a blender or food processor until smooth. Return to the pan and stir in the orange zest and juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper, then stir in the parsley and reheat gently.
Ladle into serving bowls and swirl a spoonful of yoghurt into each serving. Sprinkle with chilli flakes and grated Cheddar. Serve immediately with crusty bread.
If you enjoyed this recipe then try our Winter Warmer Bean soup.