Cheesy Pasta Bake
We all love the Margherita pizza. It's simple and classic and it is perfect. You should never mess with it. Our cheesy pasta bake is based on this classic pizza style beloved and eaten the world over. Well never mind the world, this is happening in your kitchen right now. So get some music on, maybe some classic Italian opera? Something that will get you singing along, as loudly and as badly as you wish for, but something you enjoy, that truly is the key.
This dish will get everyone running to the table, kids, grown ups and even grown up kids. There is something about the smell of melting cheese on tomatoes that just gets your stomach growling and your mouth watering.
It's a doodle to make and honestly takes very little effort. If you wanted to deviate a tiny wee bit and take it up a notch you would add about 2 tablespoons of fry oregano to the tomatoes. You can thank us later.
Tip: If you fancy trying a vegan version...substitute the Mozzarella for Violife Mozzarella.
- low cal spray oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 200g bottled roasted peppers in brine, drained
- 240g tagliatelle/fettuccine (uncooked weight)
- 300g cherry tomatoes
- 240g mozzarella, thickly sliced/ Violife Mozzarella
- salt & black pepper
- fresh basil to garnish
- balsamic vinegar for drizzling
- Preheat oven to 190C, gas 5. While the oven is heating up, cook the pasta as per the instructions on the pack.
- Spray pan with oil & cook onion & garlic for 6 mins until soft.
- Add tomato, reduce for 8 mins until thick. Add roasted peppers & season.
- Place in a shallow baking dish & top with cherry tomatoes & sliced mozzarella. Season & bake for 15 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Garnish with basil leaves, black pepper and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar.