Smoky Beans on Garlic Toast
A tasty twist on the classic beans on toast.
- low-cal spray oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 x 200g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp tomato puree
- 1 x 400g can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- a dash of balsamic vinegar
- 4 x 30g slices wholemeal or wholegrain sourdough bread
- 2 garlic cloves, halved
- 2 sprigs of flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- salt and ground black pepper
Lightly spray a pan with oil and place over a low to medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened. Stir in the smoked paprika and cook for 1 minute, then add the tomatoes and tomato paste, cook for 5 minutes.
Stir in the beans and simmer for 5 minutes until the sauce has reduced and thickened. Add balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper to taste.
Lightly toast the bread and rub one side with the cut garlic cloves. Spoon the beans over the top of the toast or serve on the side. Add the parsley and serve with some salad leaves for a packed lunch.