This is a fool-proof recipe for porridge bread, the perfect Sunday bake and it's so easy to put together.
The best thing about this porridge bread? It is DELICIOUS! The ingredients are simple but work so well together making the best of Irish comfort food.
This bread is perfect for freezing too, all you gotta do is slice it and wrap it up. When you're feeling in the mood you then only ever have to stick them in the toaster to get a warm fresh slice of porridge bread. The best trick in the world!
- Large tub (500ml) low fat natural yogurt
- 360g porridge oats
- 2 tsp bread soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp semi skimmed milk
- Preheat oven to 180°C
- Place bread soda, salt and the yogurt in a mixing bowl and stir.
- Next add in your porridge oats and stir thoroughly till all ingredients are well mixed.
- Crack the egg into a separate bowl and beat until fluffy.
- Add the egg in with the rest of the ingredients along with the milk and stir.
- Line a bread tin or oven tray with parchment paper or and add ingredients in.
- Sprinkle with some extra ground porridge oats.
- Cook for approx 50 mins, do the knife or skewer test (it must come out clean for the bread to be cooked inside).
- After 50 mins, remove the bread from the tin and cook for another 10 mins.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool.