Autumnal Veggie Pad Thai
This nutritious veggie pad thai is one of our fave, healthy comfort foods.
- 240g flat rice noodles (uncooked weight)
- low cal spray oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 red chilli, diced
- 6 spring onions, finely diced
- 2 medium free-range eggs, lightly beaten
- grated zest & juice of 1 lime
- 3 tbsp nam pla (Thai fish sauce)
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp brown sugar
- 250g green cabbage, shredded
- 200g beansprouts
- 3 carrots, coarsely grated
- 30g cashew nuts, roughly chopped
- a handful of coriander, chopped
- a pinch of dried chilli flakes
Put the rice noodles in a shallow dish and cover with just-boiled water. Leave to soak for about 10 minutes, until softened.
Lightly spray a wok or deep frying pan with oil and set over a high heat. Add the garlic, chilli and spring onions and stir-fry briskly for 1 minute.
Drain the noodles and add to the wok. Stir-fry for 1-2 minutes and push everything to the side. Add the beaten eggs and cook for 1 minute, stirring all the time, until they start to set and scramble. Mix them into the noodles.
Stir in the lime zest and juice, nam pla, soy sauce and sugar. Add the cabbage and carrots and stir-fry for 4-5 minutes. Stir in the bean sprouts, cashew nuts, and coriander.
Cook for 1 minute. Sprinkle with chilli flakes, serve immediately.