Spanish Chicken Casserole
Turn your dinner into a fiesta!
- Low-cal spray oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 1 green pepper, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 200g button mushrooms, halved
- 500g skinned chicken breasts, cut into large chunks
- 2 tsp paprika
- 400ml chicken stock
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- Grated zest and juice of 1 orange
- 2 sprigs of rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 100g green beans, trimmed and halved
- A handful of flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 600g potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Lightly spray a large saucepan with oil and place over a low heat. Cook the onion, carrot, garlic and peppers, stirring occasionally, for 8–10 minutes until tender. Add the mushrooms and cook for 2–3 minutes.
Add the chicken and cook for 5 minutes, turning it a few times, until browned all over. Add the paprika and cook for 1 minute. Pour in the stock and stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, orange zest and juice and herbs.
Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer gently for 15 minutes. Add the green beans and simmer for a further 15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked, the vegetables are tender and the sauce has thickened. Stir in most of the parsley and season to taste.
Meanwhile, cook the potatoes in a pan of boiling salted water until tender. Drain well and serve with the chicken casserole, sprinkled with the remaining parsley.
If you enjoyed this try our Spicy Chicken & Lentil Casserole.