Smashed Avocado and Balsamic Tomato Toastie
This is one of our favourite savoury breakfast recipes, simple to make and ready in under ten minutes.
- spray oil
- 8 baby plum or cherry tomatoes
- balsamic vinegar for drizzling
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/2 lemon (juice)
- 2 thick slices of wholemeal bread
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- a few chives, snipped
Lightly spray a frying pan or griddle pan with oil and place over a medium to high heat. When the pan is hot, add the tomatoes and cook for 2–3 minutes each side until softened and starting to colour. Sprinkle with balsamic vinegar and remove from the pan.
Meanwhile, cut the avocado in half, remove the stone and scoop out the flesh. Using a fork, mash it roughly with the lemon juice and sea salt to taste.
Toast the bread and spread with the smashed avocado. Arrange the roasted tomatoes on top and add a good grinding of black pepper.
- Add a crushed garlic clove to the avocado.
- Use lime juice instead of lemon.
- Sprinkle with crushed chilli flakes.
- Serve with a few drops of Tabasco.